Grammar American & British

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Comprehension ., Intermediate [ 1 ]

Comprehension . [ 1 ]

[  1  ]Intermediate

Read the following , then answer the questions below :

            As the train approached the seaside town where I was going to spend my holiday , I went into the corridor to stretch my legs . I stayed there a short while , breathing in the fresh sea air and exchanging a few words with one of the passengers whom I had met earlier on the station platform .

           When I turned to go back to my seat , I happened to glance into the compartment next to mine . Sitting there was a man who many years before had been my neighbor  . He was a great talker , I remembered : it used to take hours to get away from him once he began a conversation . I was not at all sorry when he went to live in another part of the city . We had not met since then , nor did I wish to meet him now , when my holiday was about to begin .

          Luckily at that moment he was much too busy talking to the man opposite him to catch sight of me . I slipped back into my compartment , took down my two suitcases and carried them to the far end of the corridor  so as to be ready to get off the train as soon as it stopped . The  moment the train came to a halt , I called a porter , who in no time at all had carried my luggage out of the station and found me a taxi . As I drove towards my small hotel on the outskirts of the town , I breathed a deep sigh of relief at my narrow escape. There was little chance that I should run into my boring ex-neighbor again .

          When I reached the hotel I went straight to my room and rested there until it was time for dinner . Then I went down to the lounge and ordered a drink . I had barely raised the glass to my lips when an all too familiar voice greeted me . I had not escaped from my tiresome neighbor after all ! He grasped me warmly by the hand and insisted that we share a table in the dining-room . “ This is a pleasant surprise ,” he said . “ I never expected to see you again after all these years .”

A- ] Answer the following questions :

1-] Why did the writer want to avoid his ex-neighbor ?

………………………………………………………………………………………

2-] What was the writer doing when his ex-neighbor greeted  him ?

………………………………………………………………………………………

3-] When did the writer first meet his ex-neighbour ?

………………………………………………………………………………………

4-] How did the writer feel when he drove towards the hotel ? Why ?

………………………………………………………………………………………

 

B -] Choose the correct answer :

1-] Tiresome means …………

A-] weary     B-] talkative      C-] boring      D-] sleepy

2-] If the ex-neighbor had not been talkative , the writer would have ………

A-] been pleased to see him .         B-] slipped back into his compartment .

C-] avoided seeing him .                D-] been ready to get off the train .

3-] The writer had seen his ex-neighbor ………..

A- ] once       B-] twice       C-] three times      D-] four times 


No comments:

184- ] English Literature

184- ] English Literature Jane Austen  Austen’s novels: an overview Jane Austen’s three early novels form a distinct group in which a stro...