Grammar American & British

Saturday, October 23, 2021

General Grammar Exercises & Tests [ 10 ]

10 - ] General Grammar Exercises & Tests

( 10 )

Choose the correct word for each blank.

1 . We had a beautiful house where we [ enjoyed , entertained , amused , satisfied ]  many people.

2 . When I was in college I was happy to [ enjoy , satisfy , socialize , entertain ]  with other students.

3 . I'm going up north to Scotland to stay with a few [ company , relationships , relatives , neighbours ]  of mine.

4 . The party yesterday was awful. It was a complete [ failure , succeed , success , failed ] .

5 . I had to get up early the next morning so I [ thanked , apologized , excused , denied ]  myself and left quietly.

6 . Please accept my [ apologizes , forgiving , excuses , refusal ]  for not being at the meeting. My husband was ill.

7 . [ Instead , in person , on behalf , on account ]  of the whole staff, I would like to thank you for coming.

8 . The book has been out of [ print , public , press , publication ]  for many years.

9 . I have just read a wonderful [ plot , storyline , read , story ]  about a man who cares for his ill wife.

10 . She has little in [ common , usual , general , normal ]  with her sister. they're completely different.

11 . At school we had to learn a lot of poems by [ memory ,  heart , mind ,  head ] .

12 . There is an interesting [ news , journal , article , publication ]  about climate change in yesterday's paper.

Choose the correct word for each blank.

1 . The book isn't in [ shop , reserve , store , stock ]  at the moment, but we can have it here in a few days.

2 . I took the dress back to the store but the shop assistant [ refused , disagreed , accused , denied ]  to exchange them.

3 . Please [ give , have , do , make ]  sure that the goods are delivered next week.

4 . If you are not [ convinced , satisfied , favoured , agreed ]  with our product you can give it back within 14 days.

5 . We are [ thinking , watching , noticing , considering ]  your request and will give you an answer soon.

6 . Our shop has a wide [ group , range , series , kind ]  of products.

7 . The jeweller examined the stone and said he couldn't buy it because it was [ priceless , valuable , invaluable , worthless ] .

8 . This sweater was made [ by hand , by hands ,  by the hand , with hands ]  , that is why it's so expensive.

9 . There is a [ shortage , need , requirement , dependent ]  of natural gas at the moment.

10 . We've run [ in through , out of ,  over , off ]  sugar, so please go to the store and get some.

Complete the sentences with MUST, MUSTN'T, HAVE TO, HAS TO, DOESN'T HAVE TO or DON'T HAVE TO

I ---------------- leave early tomorrow morning or else I'll miss the flight to London.

The pupils ---------------------- hand in their homework by Friday.

John doesn't know anything about his birthday party. You ----------------- tell him anything about it.

Jack ---------------- get up early tomorrow . It's his day off.

If you're in New York you really ------------------ go and see the Guggenheim Museum.

All visitors ------------------- wear an ID card, otherwise they won't be able to enter.

We --------------------- be late for the meeting. The director doesn't like people who are not on time.

The car is making a lot of noise. I -------------------- take it to the garage next week.

I'm glad I ---------------------- write my application in English. My spelling is awful.

My dad -------------------- be at the airport by 5. The plane leaves at 6.30.

Mike -------------------- come with me. I can do the job on my own.

If you really want to get a good seat, you'll ----------------- get their early. 

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...