Grammar American & British

Monday, October 4, 2021

General Grammar Exercises & Tests ( 4 )

4 - ] General Grammar Exercises & Tests

Look at each situation and decide if it describes a past or a present situation. Then write a sentence using "wish".

1. I am not very tall.

----------------------------------------  taller.

2. I didn't learn English when I was younger.

--------------------------------when I was younger.

3. I can't speak perfect English.

----------------------------------perfect English.

4. My hair isn't blonde.

-------------------------------------------hair.

5. My tennis serve is useless.

--------------------------------------------------------

6. I didn't sleep very well last night.

--------------------------------------------well last night.

7. I got really badly sunburnt on the beach yesterday because I forgot my sun-cream.

-------------------------------------------------  my sun-cream yesterday.

8. My nose is too big.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

9. I'm not the best student in the class.

--------------------------------------------------------student in my class.

10. I didn't go out with my friends to the disco-bar last night.

-------------------------------------------- with my friends to the disco-bar last night.

11. My neighborhood is terribly noisy at night.

 -------------------------------------------------------- at night.

12. I have to get up early every day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answers

Question 1 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish I was.

Question 2 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish I had learned English.

Question 3 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish I could speak.

Question 4 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish I had blonde

Question 5 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish my tennis serve wasn't useless.

Question 6 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish I had slept.

Question 7 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish I hadn't forgotten.

Question 8 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish my nose wasn't so big.

Question 9 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish I was the best.

Question 10 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish I had gone out.

Question 11 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish my neighborhood wasn't terribly noisy.

Question 12 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wish I didn't have to get up early every day.

For each question, read the situation and choose the best sentence using the third conditional.

1. I wasn't thirsty. I didn't drink the lemonade.

    If I was thirsty, I would drink the lemonade

    If I had been thirsty, I would've drunk the lemonade

    If I would have been thirsty, I drank the lemonade

2. I didn't know Kirsty was in town. I didn't call her.

    If I had known Kirsty was in town, I would have called her

    I had called Kirsty if I had know she was in town

    I would had called Kirsty if I have known she was in town

3. I didn't know watching this documentary was important for our exam. I didn't watch it.

    If I knew this documentary was important, I had watched it

    If I would have known this documentary was important, I had watched it

    If I had known this documentary was important, I would've watched it

4. I walked home from the disco. My friend was too drunk to drive.

    I hadn't walked home from the disco if my friend wasn't too drunk to drive

    I wouldn't have walked home from the disco if my friend hadn't been too drunk to drive

    I wouldn't had walked home from the disco if my friend hadn't been too drunk to drive

5. I didn't go to the store. I thought it closed at 5pm. It closed at 6pm.

    If I had known the store had closed at 6pm, I would've gone

    If I knew the store would have closed at 6pm, I would've gone

    I would've gone to the store if I know it had closed at 6pm

6. I ate the yoghurt in the fridge. I thought it was mine, not yours.

    If I would have known the yoghurt was yours, I wouldn't have eaten it

    If I had known the yoghurt was yours, I wouldn't have eaten it

    I hadn't eaten the yoghurt if I knew it was yours

7. I am really hungry now. I didn't have any breakfast.

    If I had some breakfast, I wouldn't be hungry now.

    If I would had had some breakfast, I wouldn't be hungry now.

    If I had had some breakfast, I wouldn't be hungry now

8. I didn't see Tony at the party. I wanted to speak to him about his vacation in France.

    If I saw Tom at the party, I would've spoken to him

    If I had seen Tom at the party, I would've spoken to him

    If I would have seen Tom at the party, I would've spoken to him

Answers...

Question 1 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: If I had been thirsty, I would've drunk the lemonade.

Question 2 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: If I had known Kirsty was in town, I would have called her.

Question 3 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: If I had known this documentary was important, I would've watched it.

Question 4 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: I wouldn't have walked home from the disco if my friend hadn't been too drunk to drive.

Question 5 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: If I had known the store had closed at 6pm, I would've gone.

Question 6 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: If I had known the yoghurt was yours, I wouldn't have eaten it.

Question 7 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: If I had had some breakfast, I wouldn't be hungry now.

Question 8 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: If I had seen Tom at the party, I would've spoken to him. 

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...