Grammar American & British

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Vocabulary Tests [ 51 ] Test Fifty One

51 - ] Vocabulary Tests

                                             Test Fifty One

1 . Health

Correct the mistakes , which have been underlined for you . Suggest a suitable alternative for each one . The first one has been done for you .

Yesterday , I decided to visit my ( 0 ) medicine                0 . doctor

I’ve been having ( 1 ) aches in the chest .                           1 . -----------------

I ( 2 ) heat all the time , and                                                 2 . ----------------

then I suddenly ( 3 ) cold                                                      3 . -----------------

I ( 4 ) don’t have hunger at all                                             4 . ------------------

and I think I’m ( 5 ) thinning .                                             5 . -----------------

I ( 6 ) tire myself easily , as well .                                         6 . ------------------

Last week I developed a ( 7 ) sore neck  and could            7 . ------------------

hardly speak . I hoped it would ( 8 ) better .                       8 . ------------------

but in fact it got ( 9 ) worst .                                                  9 . -----------------

The doctor ( 10 ) interrogated me                                       10 . -----------------

and gave me a ( 11 ) recipe .                                                 11 . -----------------

‘You can get this medicine at the ( 12 ) pharmacist’s .’    12 . -----------------

he said .’Don’t worry . You’ll soon be ( 13 ) alright .’      13 . -----------------

I ( 14 ) pleased the doctor to give me                                  14 . -----------------

some ( 15 ) advices .                                                              15 . -----------------

‘When you feel better . ( 16 ) make plenty of exercise .    16 .----------------

and you need plenty of ( 17 ) open air .                              17 . ----------------

You’ll be ( 18 ) good in no time .’                                        18 . -----------------

I thanked the doctor as the ( 19 ) nanny showed me out   19 . ---------------

 before leading in the next ( 20 ) customer .                        20 . ----------------

Answer Key

1 . pains 2 . get hot 3 . am not hungry 4 . getting thin(ner) 6 . get tired 7 . sore throat

8 . get better 9 . worse 10 . examined 11 . prescription 12 . chemist’s 13 . all right

( preferably ) 14 . asked 15 . advice 16 . take 17 . fresh 18 . well 19 . nurse 20 . patient

2 . Holidays

Supply the best words .

1- Guesthouses with ----------------- are often hard to find . ( A ) vacations ( B ) vacancies

2 . I looked for a sign which said Rooms --------------- .        ( A ) To Let ( B ) To Rent

3 . I like a room with its own --------------- .                           ( A ) toilet ( B ) cabinet

4 . or at least with a -------------- where I can shave              ( A ) washbasin ( B ) sink

5 . and I prefer it to be on the ground -------------- .              ( A ) stage ( B ) floor

6 . A ------------------ with a view                                              ( A ) camera ( B ) room

7 . of the surrounding ------------- is what I like best .           ( A ) countryside ( B ) land

8 . A holiday hotel should have a friendly ---------------- .     ( A ) manager ( B ) director

9 . who welcomes the ------------- at all times .                        ( A ) guests ( B ) clients

10 . Unfortunately , the best hotels are always ------------- .  ( A ) full ( B ) filled

11 . I like hotels where the lifts aren’t ------------- .                ( A ) out of order ( B ) broken

12 . and which don’t cost too ------------- .                               ( A ) much ( B ) many

13 . A big ----------------- at the end always                                 ( A ) bill ( B ) addition  

14 . spoils a good --------------- .                                                    ( A )  vacancy ( B ) holiday

15 . and makes you wish you had ---------------- .                       ( A ) rested ( B ) stayed

16 . at a cheaper --------------- .                                                     ( A ) place ( B ) space

Answer Key

1 . B 2. A 3 . A 4 . A 5 . B 6 . B 7 . A 8 . A 9 . A 10 . A 11 . A 12 . A 13 . A 14 . B

15 . B 16 . A   

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...