Grammar American & British

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Vocabulary Tests [ 55 ] Test Fifty Five

55 - ] Vocabulary Tests 

Test Fifty Five

1 - ] Prepositional phrases

Supply ‘at , by , in , on , to , with or ----‘ where necessary .

1 . Did you come all this way ------------- foot ?

2 . I didn’t walk . I came here ------------- the bus .

3 . Where’s Harry ? - I think he’s gone ------------ be .

4 . Aren’t the children ----------- bed yet ?

5 . What time did you go ----------- home last night ?

6 . You may work hard all week , but you do nothing when you’re ---------- home .

7 . I don’t think it’s that much cheaper to go ------------- bus .

8 . Your cheque is ----------- the post .

9 . Who’s that woman ----------- the black handbag ?

10 . What time do the children go ------------ school in the mornings ?

11 . I don’t mind being alone ----------- the house .

12 . I only manage to get the shopping done when the children are ---------- school .

13 . You can’t speak to him now . He’s ------------- class .

14 . Many young people expect to go ------------- university after they leave school .

15 . Where did you hear about this ? - I saw it -------------TV .

Answer Key

1 . on 2 . on / in 3 . to 4 . in 5 . - 6 . at 7 . by 8 . in 9 . with 10 . to 11 . in 12 . at 13 . in

14 . to 15 . on

2 .] Only one negative

Write these sentences again in the negative using different words from those in italics . Make any other changes . The first one has been done for you .

0 . I haven’t ever been late for work .  I have never been late for work .

1 . There are no people at the bus stop . --------------------------------------------------

2 . It wasn’t a surprise to get your letter . ------------------------------------------------

3 . I’ve done nothing all afternoon .   -----------------------------------------------------

4 . I haven’t seen anyone all day . --------------------------------------------------------

5 . Peg got dressed without any help from me .  -----------------------------------------

6 . I haven’t been anywhere today . --------------------------------------------------------

7 . It’s nobody you know . -----------------------------------------------

8 . I left home with no money in my pocket . ------------------------------------------

9 . You can’t trust anybody these days . ---------------------------------------------------

Answer Key

1 . There aren’t any people 2 . It was no surprise 3 . I haven’t done anything  

4. I have seen no one 5 . ----------with no help 6 . I have been nowhere 7 . It isn’t / It’s not

anybody 8 . without any money 9 . You can trust nobody  

3 .] - ed / -ing

Supply the best words

1 . I found the film very                                                   ( A ) boring         ( B ) bored

2 . I got so ------------ waiting for you to arrive .            ( A ) boring         ( B ) bored

 3 . John is the most ------------- man I’ve ever met .      ( A ) boring        ( B ) bored

 4 . Don’t look so -------------------- !                                 ( A ) surprising ( B ) surprised

5 . Mother looks very -----------------                                ( A ) worrying   ( B ) worried

6 . The rise in crime is very ------------------ .                   ( A ) worrying   ( B ) worried

7 . Don’t you find shopping ---------------- ?                     ( A ) tiring         ( B ) tired

8 . Don’t you find John rather -------------- ?                   ( A ) tiring         ( B ) tired

Answer key

1 A 2 . B 3 . A 4 . B 5 . B 6 . A 7 . A 8 . A 

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...