Grammar American & British

Friday, December 24, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 33 ] , Upper Intermediate

33 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises

Upper Intermediate

18 -] Tag Questions .

Echo Tags

An echo tag is a tag used in response to a statement . Echo tags are very common in spoken English . We use echo tags to show that we are listening to what the speaker is saying and showing interest .

Example

A : I met Ali the other night .

B : Did you ?

A : I’m not going to apply for that job now .

B : Aren’t you ?

Complete the gaps with a tag question or echo tag

Example

A : It’s been a wonderful day (1) hasn’t it ?

B : yes , fantastic . And we’ve had no problems with anything , (2)-----------------? Everything’s been perfect .

A : That’s right . It’ll certainly be a lovely day to remember , (3)--------------------------?

************

A : I had a letter from Ahmad yesterday .

B : Oh , (4) ------------------------------?

A : Yes , he says he’s coming to stay this weekend .

B : Really ? That’ll be nice , (5) ------------------------?

************

A : I don’t know what to do today . Just look at the rain outside .

B : Well , I don’t want to stay in all day . Let’s go and see a film , (6) --------------------?

A : Why not ? Good idea . There’s nothing much on at the local cinema though ,

(7)------------------------------?

B : All right . We’ll take the train into town then , (8) ----------------------------?

************

A : Rami and his wife are coming round for dinner tonight .

B : (9) ------------------------------ ? Oh , that’ll be nice .

A : Yes . I thought you might like to come too .

B : Well yes , but you haven’t seen them for a long time . I expect you’d like to talk to them

on your own , (10) --------------------------?

**************

A : How did you get in here ?

B : I came in through the back door .

A : No , I don’t think so .

A : You shouldn’t come and see me like this . It’s dangerous . Please don’t come here again , (12)-----------------------------?

************

A : That’s a beautiful table , (13) ---------------------------?

B : Yes , it is , (14) ---------------------------?

A : It would ne lovely in our kitchen , (15) --------------------? Why don’t we get it ?

B : Don’t be ridiculous . Look at the price . We can’t afford it , (16) -------------------?

************

A : You couldn’t hold this door open for me , (17) -----------------------? I can’t get the pram through it ?

B : Of course . It’s terrible how they design these doors , (18) ---------------? It makes it so difficult for people in wheelchairs or with young children .

A : Yes , it does , (19) ----------------------?

***********

A : I’ve just been talking to Said .

B : (20) --------------------, Dad ?

A : Yes , and I didn’t like what he told me . So you went to that nightclub on Friday ,

(21) ---------------------------- ? The one I told you not to go to .

B : I’m sorry Dad . I thought you wouldn’t really mind .

A : Oh you did , (22) -------------------------? Well , I do mind .

Rewrite the conversation adding tag questions where appropriate .

Tamer and Daher used to be old friends . They meet again at a party .

D : Hello . Nice to see you here . It’s a great party .

T : Yes , it’s really good . There are so many people here that I haven’t seen for ages .

D : Yes , there are a lot of our old school crowd here . Have you spoken to many of them ?

T : Yes , quite a few . I bumped into Ahmad a few minutes ago and we had a brief chat . Well , no , he chatted and I listened .

D : Yes , he’s still the same . He just loves talking about himself and he doesn’t seem to be interested in what anyone else has to say .

T : That’s right . Oh look , that’s Mido over there .

D : Yes , you’re right , it is . Who’s that he’s with ?

T : It’s Nasser .

D : But he’s going out with his brother Emad .

T : Well , yes , I thought so . But look , he’s holding his friend’s mobile .

D : Oh yes . Well , I suppose our information must be out-of-date then . Anyway , what about you ? I’ve missed you , you know .

T : Yes , I’ve missed you too .

D : But I expect you’ve a new friend now .

T : Not now , I did for a little while after you went away but not now .

D : It was hard saying goodbye . I was going to write to you but I thought it wouldn’t help .

T : No , maybe not . Well , anyway , we’re here together now . Why don’t we just enjoy ourselves .

D : Good idea . Let’s sing .

T : Yes , I’d like to . But not now . The music is terrible .

D : Well , it’s no good for singing , that’s for sure . We’ll go and ask them if we can change it .

T : OK . Well , you go . And put on one of our favorites .

D : Yes , I will . And will you be waiting for me when I get back ?

T : Yes , of course I will .

Example

D : Hello . Nice to see you here . It’s a great party , isn’t it ?

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...