Grammar American & British

Saturday, October 30, 2021

General Grammar Exercises & Tests [ 15 ]

15 - ] General Grammar Exercise & Tests

( 15 )

Complete the following sentences with 'like' or 'as'.

(The answers are at the end of the exercise .)

1.My sister is very artistic. She is not athletic __________ me.

2.I've had my hair cut and styled, _________ you can see.

3.Tom has joined a telephone company _________ product manager.

4.Some people say that my friend Carla looks __________ Madonna.

5.When James was a student, he worked every summer ________ a waiter.

6.Tom qualified ________ an engineer before attending a business school.

7.Julie is completely overworked.  She works _______ a slave!

8.Today is Friday, so today, _________ on every Friday, we wear casual wear.

9.Strong leaders, _________Winston Churchill, are few and far between.

10.He's a very good swimmer.  He can swim ________ a fish!

 Answers :

1. like  2. as     3. as     4. like  5. as  6. as 7. like 8. as 9. like 10. like

Make one sentence from the two below, using the word(s) in brackets.

Example: It was raining. We played golf. (even though)

→ Even though it was raining, we played golf.

1.She wasn't very rich.  She gave money to the beggar. (although)

2.He left early.  He wanted to arrive on time. (so that)

3.You can go out tonight.  You must tell us where you are going. (provided)

4.I don't earn a big salary.  But if I did, I wouldn't buy a car.  (even if)

5.Take a sandwich.  There might be no restaurant. (in case)

6.There was a lot of noise.  He managed to sleep. (despite)

7.Sue likes Opera.  Joe prefers jazz. (They have different tastes.)  (whereas)

8.The weather was bad.  They enjoyed the trip. (even though)

9.He had the 'flu.  He went to work. (in spite of)

10.You have to put the alarm on.  If not, it won't work. (unless)

Answers

   → Although she wasn't very rich, she gave money to the beggar.

  →  He left early so that he would arrive on time.

  → You can go out tonight provided you tell us where you are going.

  →Even if I earned a big salary I wouldn't buy a car.

  → Take a sandwich in case there's no restaurant.

  →Despite the noise, he managed to sleep. / He managed to sleep despite the noise.

  →Sophie likes Opera whereas Joe prefers Jazz.

  →Even though the weather was bad they enjoyed the trip.

  →In spite of having the 'flu he went to work.

  →Unless you set the alarm it won't work.

Complete the following sentences with 'make' or 'do' (in the correct tense).

(The answers are at the end of the page.)

1.If you set up a business, it's generally to _______ money.

2.I can't give the answer right away.  I'll have to ______ some research.

3.I'm very pleased with the result.  You ______ a great job!

4. When I ________ a mistake, my teacher corrects me and explains why.

5.What are you studying?  I'm __________ a degree in history.

6.You'll have to work hard if you want to ________ progress.

7.Stop ________ fun of my accent - it's not my fault!

8.It doesn't have to be perfect - just ______ your best.

9.I've got a toothache.  I'm going to ring the dentist to ___________ an appointment.

10.It's not easy to _________ business with people of different nationalities.

 Answers :

«1. make 2.do 3. did 4.make 5. doing 6. make 7. making 8. do 9. make 10.  do» 

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...