Grammar American & British

Saturday, October 16, 2021

General Grammar Exercises & Tests ( 7 )

7 - ] General Grammar Exercise & Tests

( 7 )

Complete the sentence using the GERUND or INFINITIVE (with or without TO)

My sister reminded me --------------- late for the ceremony (NOT BE).

Why does he always avoid ------------------- at me (LOOK)?

I promised ------------------- by tomorrow. (STOP)

You can go. I don't mind ------------------- alone. (BE)

I'm already so tired. I need --------------------- a short break. (TAKE)

After we finished --------------------- our homework we went for a walk. (DO)

When does he expect ---------------------- for Rome? (LEAVE)

His secretary advised us ------------------ until autumn. (NOT WAIT)

My boss expects me ----------------- the report by next Friday. (FINISH)

My dad seems ----------------------- in a very good mood today. (BE)

Mr. Jackson warned the boys ------------------ the wires. (NOT TOUCH)

He advised me against --------------------- that apartment. (RENT)

Would you please stop ----------------------- so much noise. (MAKE)

He doesn't let anyone ------------------- in his new office. (SMOKE)

Complete the sentences using the correct prepositional phrases.

I am writing to you ------------------ the ad you posted in last week's edition.

Last month's temperatures were ------------------ for this part of the country.

She wants to make you jealous --------------------. That's why she's wearing such clothes in order to appear attractive to other men.

Purchases in this shop must be made -----------------------. No credit cards are allowed.

It was a wonderful weekend ------------------------ the bad weather.

Water is brought to the fields ------------------------- electric pumps.

I can't help you with this problem. You're ------------------

Please don't punish me. I must have switched on the light -------------------

The tour guide I bought was -------------------. It was published in 2010.

He started his business career ------------------------- 22, after he had finished college.

You must break the glass ---------------------- there's a fire.

She was, -------------------- , his first friend. He hadn't had a relationship before.

The hall was empty ------------------ some old newspapers on the table.

All trains will be arriving -------------------------, despite the traffic problems in the city.

Answers

I am writing to you WITH REGARD TO the ad you posted in last week's edition.

Last month's temperatures were BELOW AVERAGE for this part of the country.

She wants to make you jealous ON PURPOSE. That's why she's wearing such clothes in order to appear attractive to other men.

Purchases in this shop must be made IN CASH. No credit cards are allowed.

It was a wonderful weekend IN SPITE OF the bad weather.

Water is brought to the fields BY MEANS OF electric pumps.

I can't help you with this problem. You're ON YOUR OWN.

Please don't punish me. I must have switched on the light BY MISTAKE.

The tour guide I bought was OUT OF DATE. It was published in 2010.

He started his business career AT THE AGE OF 22, after he had finished college.

You must break the glass IN CASE there's a fire.

She was, IN FACT, his first friend. He hadn't had a relationship before.

The hall was empty EXCEPT FOR some old newspapers on the table.

All trains will be arriving ON TIME, despite the traffic problems in the city.

Choose the correct word or phrase.

1 - ] We have [ several , plenty ]  of things we need to do before the even starts.

2 - ] I'll get back to you in [ few , a few ]  minutes.

3 - ] My sister only had [ little , a few ]  time before her train departed.

4 - ] Can I ask you for [ an , some ]  advice?

5 - ] I have a [ few , little ]  books I don't need any more.

6 - ] I didn't recognize [ no one , anyone ]  on the photo.

7 - ] [ Most , Much ]  people in Switzerland speak at least two languages.

8 - ] My brother watches [ every , each ]  Manchester United match he can.

9 - ]I can't come because I have [ any , some ]  homework to do this afternoon.

10 - ] Jimmy is not old [ too , enough ]  to watch such a movie.

 11 - ] Unfortunately there are [  any , no ]  activities for teenagers,                             

12 - ] Put [ either , both ]  hands on the steering wheel.

13 - ] [ Nobody , None ]  of her relatives has seen her recently.

14 - ] My father has [ little , few ]  work to do, so he's got a lot of free time.

Fill in MAKE , DO , GET or TAKE to form collocations

1 .  --------------lost

2 . ------------------ a shower

3 . ------------------- a fortune

4 . ------------------- ready

5 . ----------------- a picture of someone

6 . ------------------ a suggestion

7 . ---------------- started

 8 . -----------------friends

9 . ---------------- harm

10 . ----------------a break

11 . --------------- the dishes

12 . ----------------- a job

13 . --------------- someone a favour

14 . ----------------- a promotion

15 . --------------- your time

16 . ---------------- an appointment

17 . -----------------advantage of somebody

18 . ------------------ divorced

19 . ------------------ your homework

 20 . --------------------money

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...