Grammar American & British

Saturday, October 16, 2021

General Grammar Exercises & Tests ( 6 )

6  - ] General Grammar Exercises & Tests

( 6 )

Read the news report, choose the correct verb form and write it in the box.

1. Millions of dollars' worth of damage has been caused by a storm which  (swept/was swept) across the north of the United States last night.

2. The River Reiner  (burst/was burst) its banks after heavy rain.

3. Many people  (rescued/were rescued) from the floods by fire-fighters.

4. Firefighters  (received/were received) hundreds of calls for help.

5. Wind speeds  (reached/were reached) ninety miles an hour in some places.

6. Roads  (blocked/were blocked) by fallen trees.

7. Electricity lines  (brought/were brought) down, leaving thousands of homes without electricity.

8. "Everything possible  (is doing/is being done) to get things back to normal," a spokesman said.

9. One young girl  (took/was taken) to hospital after she broke her leg.

10. She has now  (sent/been sent) home.

Answers

Question 1 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: swept.

Question 2 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: burst.

Question 3 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: were rescued.

Question 4 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: received.

Question 5 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: reached.

Question 6 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: were blocked.

Question 7 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: were brought.

Question 8 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: is being done.

Question 9 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: was taken.

Question 10 - Incorrect. Actual Answer was: been sent.

Complete the sentences with the correct adjectives: use the words in capitals.

1- ] He’s such a ------------ person. He forgets everything when he goes out . (CARE)

2 - ] There’s a pen mark on the sofa but it's not very --------------. (NOTICE)

3 - ] He tried to paint his bedroom, but he wasn't very ---------------. (SUCCESS)

4 - ] Thomas is very-------------- . He usually saves his pocket money. (SENSE)

5 - ] Never use electronic gadgets near water ! – It’s really-------------- ! (DANGER)

6 - ] Sam’s room is --------------- . It’s a real mess. (HORROR)

7 - ] When I’m tired I sometimes feel cross and ---------------- (MOOD).

8 - ] I think watching too much TV can be --------------- for young children (HARM)

9 - ] I'll buy a second-hand computer game. They’re really ----------------. (AFFORD)

10 . ] I never watch thrillers late at night because they’re too -----------------. (SCARE)

11 - ] I have had very ---------------- holidays this year. They were great. (ENJOY)

12 - ] He’ s a ----------------- case. He simply won’t listen to you (HOPE)

Complete the following sentences with a suitable preposition and the gerund of the word in brackets.

1- ] My best friend has always kept me ------------ a silly mistake. (MAKE)

2 - ] She accused him ------------- all the money in the locker room. (STEAL)

3 - ] I apologized ------------- my homework. (FORGET)

4 - ] I really like art but I'm far --------------- that picture on the wall. (UNDERSTAND)

5 - ] Dan was so drunk that he was incapable ---------------- (DRIVE).

6 - ] All my sisters are fond --------------- pizza. (EAT)

7 - ] Dad wanted to plant the trees in the garden himself but I insisted ------------------ him. (HELP)

8 - ] He has always been interested ----------- as much as he can about foreign countries. (LEARN)

9 - ] Look at that mess ! There must be someone responsible ------------- the room. (CLEAN)

10 - ] I'm looking forward ------------- you at the open air concert. (SEE)

11 - ] I'm tired ------------- for my exams. I think I'll take a break. (STUDY)

1`2 - ] He's not used --------------- so much coffee in the morning. (DRINK)

Put the verbs in brackets into their correct forms.

1 - ] When they arrived the match -----------------------. (ALREADY START)

2 - ] When I first met him he told me he ------------------- architecture . (STUDY)

3 - ] My elder brother ------------------- in bed for over a week. (BE)

4 - ] At the moment the whole team ----------------------- out of work. (BE)

5 - ] Look over there. Someone ------------------- to get on the moving bus. (TRY)

6 - ] She -------------------- to the hospital three times before she was allowed to play again. (BE)

7 - ] When the medical team found her she ---------------------- out of her nose. (BLEED)

8 - ] How long ------------------------- your own office? (YOU HAVE)

9 - ] I'm wondering if you can help me. I ----------------------- for a job for months and someone -----------------me -your phone number, so I ------------------ to ring you up. (LOOK, GIVE, DECIDE)

10 - ]The new community center------------------ for the public next Friday. (OPEN)

11 - ] The teacher told us that --------------------- the time to correct our homework. (NOT HAVE)

12 - ] How ------------------- to work? - Sometimes I ------------------ myself, and in bad weather I usually ------------------- the bus. (YOU USUALLY GET, DRIVE, TAKE)

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...