Grammar American & British

Friday, November 19, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 7 ] Upper Intermediate

7 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises 

Upper Intermediate

 

5 - ] Tenses With the Perfect Aspect

Present Perfect Simple and Present Perfect Continuous

1 . Put the verbs in brackets into the present perfect simple or present perfect continuous .

Tim Bryant , a magazine journalist , is interviewing Margaret Rodwell , the founder of a successful company .

Example

TB : So why do you think your company has been (be) so successful ?

MR : Well , our products ---------------------(fill) a large gap in the market and I think one of the most important things is that we -----------------(always listen) to our clients and we ------

(act) on their comments and suggestions .

TB : And what’s a typical day for you ?

MR : Well , take today for example . I ------------------------(interview) candidates for a marketing executive post .

TB : And how many ---------------------------(you / interview) ?

MR : Er , I ---------------------------(interview) four so far . And I ----------------------(talk) to clients on the phone on and off all day . I seem to spend a lot of time on the phone . I ---------

(discuss) some new ideas with them for the transportation and delivery of our products .

RB : Mm , it sounds like a very busy day .

MR : Oh , that’s only part of it . I ---------------------(have) two meetings , one with Union representatives and one with departmental heads . And I -----------------(also work) on a proposal for a new marketing strategy .

TB : And it’s not two o’clock yet !

MR : No , but of course I ---------------------(be) here since seven o’clock this morning .

TB : Gosh . And , I hope you don’t mind my mentioning this Ms Rodwell , but some rumors --------------------------(circulate) about your possible engagement to Mr. Thomson , the banker .

MR : No , there will be no engagement , though it’s true that Mr. Thomson and I -------------

(see) each other . That’s no secret .

TB : When you get the time , I suppose . And is it also true that you ----------------(learn) Russian with a view to introducing your products there ?

MR : Yes , I have , but I ----------------------(not learn) much yet ; there’s still a long way for me to go .

 2 . Put the verbs in brackets into the present perfect simple or present perfect continuous .

Example

1` - ] A: You look hot . What have you been doing ( you / do) ?

B : I ------------------------------(run) .

A : Running ! In this heat ? How far ----------------------(you / run ) ?

B : About four miles .

2 - ] A : What’s the problem ? You look a bit preoccupied .

B : Yes , I -------------------------(think) about Helen .

A : Why ? Is there something wrong with her ?

B : Well , she -------------------------(act) so strangely lately .

A : In what way ?

B : Well , some days when she arrives at work , I know that she ---------------(cry) . And she

-------------------------- (make) private calls when we’re all out at lunch . I just think that something’s going on .

A : -----------------------------(you /talk) to her about it yet ?

B : Yes , a few times , and each time she ----------------(say) that there’s nothing wrong , but I’m not so sure .

3 - } A : Where ----------------(you / be) , Simon ?

B : I ------------------------(talk)to Mark on the phone . He says he -------------------- (try) to phone us all day .

A : Well I -----------------(be) in most of the day but I ----------------(not hear) the phone .

B : That’s strange . But anyway , he ---------------------(have) a phone call from Jackie’s mother and Jackie ------------------(be) in some kind of accident . It’s nothing very serious but she’s got to stay in hospital overnight .

A : Oh dear . -----------------------------(she/break) any bones ?

B : I’m not quite sure how badly she ----------------------(be hurt) but I think we should go and see her tonight .

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...