Grammar American & British

Friday, November 26, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 10 ] Upper Intermediate

10 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises

Upper Intermediate 

6 - ] Future Forms

The ‘be going to’ Future and the Present and the Present Continuous as Future .

Rewrite the dialogue , substituting the verbs in the ‘be going to’ future with the present continuous as future where this is possible

A : 1Are you going to come to the meeting tomorrow about the proposed staff cuts ?

B : Oh yes , definitely .

A : Have you read the report about the cuts ?

B : No , not yet . 2  I’m going to read it tonight . What does it say ?

A : Well , 3 there are going to be quite a few cuts in this department .

B : Oh no . I wonder 4 who’s going to lose their job .

A : I don’t know . I think 5 they’re going to ask people if they want to take voluntary redundancy .

B : Well , I certainly don’t want that . 6 ‘We’re going to move into a new flat next month and the rent’s quite high . I don’t know 7 what’s going to happen if I lose my job .

A : Oh , don’t worry about it too much . I’m sure 8 everything’s going to be all right . Look , why don’t we go out for drink after work .

B : I can’t . 9 I’m going to meet some friends for a meal and then 10 we’re going to go to the cinema .

A : Well what about tomorrow night ? 11 Are you going to go out then ?

B : No , 12 I’m not going to do anything .

A : So let’s go out after the meeting .

B : OK . Good idea . 

Example

1 - ] Are you coming    

Future with ‘will’

Complete the following sentences with ‘will/ll and a verb from the following

[ offer - make - tell - have - buy - drop - wash - announce - receive - be sentenced - phone

- carry - be - invite - go ]

1 . I’m sorry about losing that book . I’ll buy you another one next week .

2 . I -------------------------one of those cases for you .

3 . The temperature -------------------significantly during the aftewrnoon .

4 . ------------------------------you ------------------me when you get the news ? You’ve got my number haven’t you ?

5 . The Prime Minister -------------------------the details of the budget at 10 o’clock tomorrow. 6 . ----------------------------------we ------------------------her the truth about what happened ?

7 . I expect they ---------------------her soon .

8 . You ---------------------------your exam results by post during the first few days of August .

9 . I ------------------------not -----------------------them here again , whatever you say .

10 . If he is found guilty , he -----------------------to life imprisonment .

11 . I ---------------------never ---------------------the same mistake again .

12 . ---------------------we ------------------for a swim this afternoon ?

13 . They definitely ---------------------not -------------------me the job : I had a terrible interview .

14 . -----------------------------I ------------------------these plates ?

15 . I’m determined that he -----------------------everything he wants .

Contrast : be going to versus will

Put the verbs into the ‘be going to’ future or the will/future . If both tenses are possible , choose the one that is most appropriate for the context . With the verbs ‘to go’ or ‘to come’ usr the present continuous as future instead of the ‘be going to’ future .

Two friends , Jack and David , are talking .

Example

J : Have you decided what you are going to do  (do) this weekend ?

D : Yes , we --------------------------(have) a quiet day on Saturday and then on Sunday we

---------------------(take) a bus up into the mountains and do some walking . And we -----------

(probably book into) a hotel there for the night . What about you ? --------------------(you/do)

lots of work as usual ?

J : Well , no . Mark phoned last night about coming down this weekend .

D : Really ?

J : Yes , he --------------------(come) on Friday .

D : Oh , I’d like to see him . I think I ---------------------(phone him up) tonight and arrange something .

J : Well , we’re planning to spend the day on the beach on Saturday . We -------------(do) some swimming and sunbathing . I just hope the weather ---------------(be) warm enough . And then on Saturday night we ------------------(see) that new film with Tom Cruise .

D : Well , as I’ve got nothing planned , I ---------------------- (join) you at the beach on Saturday then , if that’s O.K .

J : Of course , it is . I --------------------------(pick you up) from your flat some time after breakfast .

D : Oh thanks . -------------------------------(I / bring) a picnic ?

J : Yes . Why not ? I tell you what : Mark and I ----------------(make) some sandwiches and

-------------------------(you / bring) some salad and fruit ?

D : Yes , fine . I ---------------------------(do) that . Good . That --------------------(save) us all the cost of eating out . And what about the film ? What time ------------------(you / see) that ?

J : We -----------------------(see) the early showing at 6.00 and then we ----------------(try out)

that new disco in town .

D : Right . Well , I think I ---------------------(spend) the evening at home with Sarah .

J : O.K. So I --------------------(see) you on Saturday morning , probably at around 10 o’clock .

D : Fine .

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...