Grammar American & British

Friday, November 26, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 11 ] Upper Intermediate

11 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises 

Upper Intermediate

Present Simple as Future

Where possible , put the verbs in brackets into the present simple . Where this is not possible , use the will future .

A teacher is giving some students the details of a forthcoming trip .

Example

The coach leaves (leave) here at 9.00 a.m. , and we --------------------(arrive) at the field study center before lunch . When we ---------------(get) there , you -----------------(be shown) to your rooms and -----------------(be give) time to unpack . Lunch -----------------(be served) in the dining-room at 12.30 precisely so make sure you ---------------------(not get) there late . When lunch -----------------(finish) , it ----------------------------------(be) time to get ready for our first activity , a walk down to the beach to look at the rock pools . Nets ,magnifying glasses and containers -----------------(be provided) by the center . If the weather -------------(be) fine , we

---------------------(stay) on the beach for the whole of the afternoon . Otherwise , we -----------(go back) to the center after an hour or two and watch a video on seashore life . You ---------

(be expected) to keep a written record of everything that you --------------(find) and we-------

(look) at all the records when we -----------------(get back) to school at the end of the week . Mr. Hassan , the field study supervisor , is very knowledgeable and I’m sure that he ---------

(help) you to identify anything that (be served) at 6.00 and at 8.00 there --------------(be) an evening activity . On the first night , Mr. Hassan -------------(plan) to go on a moonlight walk with us to look for bats . It is important that you ---------------(stay) together on this walk . Please don’t wander off . It ----------------(not be) easy for us to find you if you ---------

(get lost) in the dark . Behave sensibly and I’m sure you --------------------(all have) a wonderful time .

Future Continuous

Contrast : Future Continuous Versus ‘will’ Future

Put the verbs in the brackets into the ‘will’ future or the future continuous . Complete any short answers with will or won’t .

Example

1 . A : Would you like to come over for lunch on Saturday ?

B : Well unfortunately , I’ll be working (work) all day Saturday .

A : Oh , that’s a shame . Well , you --------------------(have to come over) another day . I ------

(talk) to Adel about it and I -----------------(phone) you on Sunday . ----------------------- (you / be) in then ?

B : Yes definitely . I -----------------------(recover) from my week’s work .

2 - ] A : ----------------------(you / go) to the meeting tonight ? If so , I ----------------(give) you a lift there .

B : Oh yes please , that would be helpful . I ------------------(play) tennis until 7 o’clock but I

--------------------(be) back shortly after that .

A : O.K. I ------------------(pick you up) at about 7.30. ----------------(you / be) ready by then ?

 B : Yes . Don’t worry . I ---------------------(wait) for you when you get here .

3 - ] A : Do you ever think about what you -----------------(do) in ten years’ time ?

B : Oh yes . I sometimes imagine that I --------------------(do) a very important job and earning lots of money and that I ----------------(live) in a beautiful big house . But to be honest , I think I --------------------(still work) here and I -------------(probably do) the same job .

A : No , you ---------------------- .You -------------------(get) a better job soon , I’m sure you -----

B : And so ---------------------------you .

A : And then we --------------------------(go) on wonderful foreign holidays and we --------------

(learn) to speak different languages .

B : Perhaps .

4 - ] A : Oh dear , I’ve run out of stamps . I ----------------------(not be able to post) these letters now .

B : Well , I -----------------(go) to the post office later on . I --------------(take) the letters and post them for you .

A : Oh thank you . I --------------------(give) you the money for the stamps .

5 - ] A : So I ----------------------------(wait) for you when you get to the station . I --------------(not come) into the platform but I ----------------------(see) you by the ticket office .

B : O.K. , that’s fine . I -------------------(carry) a heavy suitcase so I think we ----------------(have to get) a taxi from the station .

Contrast : Future Continuous versus Present Continuous as Future

Put the verbs in brackets into the present continuous or the future continuous. It is often the case that either tense is correct . Choose the tense that you think is the most appropriate .

Example

1 - ] A : Will you be seeing (you / see) Tamer at work tomorrow ?

B : Yes , I will .

A : Do you think you could give him a message for me ?

 2 - ] A : Have you read the notes for the meeting ?

B : No , not yet , but I ----------------------(sit) on the train for three hours tomorrow so I can do it then .

4 - ] A : Can you post this letter for me on your way to work ?

B : I’m sorry but I ----------------(not walk) past the post box this morning because my brother -------------------(give) me a lift to work . I’ll post it for you later on though .

5 - ] What ----------------------(you / go round) to Amira’s with us ?

B : No , I don’t think so . I ---------------------(see) quite a lot of her at our play rehearsal next week .

6 - ] A : I must collect my new glasses from the optician .

B : Do you want me to collect them ? I ------------------------(go) past there later on anyway .

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...