Grammar American & British

Friday, December 10, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 24 ] Upper Intermediate

24 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises

Upper Intermediate

 The Infinitive and Gerund : Mixed Uses .

Put the verbs in the dialogue into the to-infinitive or the gerund

Huda has been called to the office of her boss , Ahmad .

Example

A : Take a seat , Huda . Would you like (1) to have (have) some coffee ?

H : Er , no thank you .

A : I asked (2) ------------------------(see) you (3) -----------------------(talk) about your book . I think there are a few things that we need (4) ------------------(discuss) .

H : Oh dear . Is there some problem ? I do love (5) -----------------------(work) here and I think I’m getting better at (6) -----------------(do) the job .

A : Yes , I’m sure you are , Huda , but sometimes you are rather slow (7) ---------------------

(learn) . In a hotel of the reputation , we cannot afford (8) -----------------(make) mistakes and I am sorry (9) -----------------------(say) that you have made rather a lot . There are some things you are very good at , like (10) ------------------------(welcome) the guests , (11) ----------

(talk) to them and (12) -------------------(give) them any help they require .

H : That’s true . I was rather shy when I first started (13) ----------------(work) here but now I’m much better at (14) ------------------(communicate) with the guests . They have often said to me that it is nice (15) -------------------(see) such a friendly face at reception .

A : That’s good . It’s true (16) --------------------(say) that you have got much better at (17)

--------------------------(deal) with people . But you do not pay enough attention to (18) ---------

(ensure) that the administrative part of your job is carried out efficiently .

H : (19) ------------------------------(Keep) the records is not my favorite part of the job , I must admit .

A : But it’s essential (20) -------------------------(do) that properly . It’s no use (21) --------------

(be) nice to all the guests if you are creating problems for them by (22) -----------------(fail)

(23) ------------------------(carry out) your job efficiently .I know there is a lot of work (24)

----------------------(do) at reception , but last week you made three mistakes with the billing . That’s not good enough .

Huda : Yes , I’m sorry about that , but sometimes the bills are very complicated (25) --------

(work out) .

A : I know , but we can’t make mistakes and that’s that . And what about you (26) -----------

(accept) that booking for the penthouse suite at the weekend when we were using it for a conference ? It was very careless of you (27) -----------------(do) that . I had to do a lot of (28)

-----------------------(apologize) (29) ---------------------(calm down) those guests . They were furious .

H : Yes , it was terrible . I do try (30) -------------------(get) everything right but I can’t help (31) ----------------------(make) mistakes sometimes . I just don’t know what (32) -------------

(do) about it .

A : Well , I do . You’ve got a month (33) -----------------------(prove) to me that you can do the job efficiently , and if you can’t , you’ll have (34) -----------------(start) (35) -----------------

(look) for another job .

Different Forms of The Gerund And The Infinitive

The gerund and the infinitive can be used in the following forms

Gerund

gerund

doing

perfect gerund

having done

passive gerund

being done

perfect passive gerund

having been done

Infinitive

infinitive

(to) do

continuous infinitive

(to) be doing

perfect infinitive

(to) have done

perfect continuous infinitive

(to) have been doing

passive infinitive

(to) be done

perfect passive infinitive

(to) have been done

 

Complete the sentences with the appropriate form of the gerund or the infinitive

Example

1 . His greatest ambition is to be chosen (choose) to take part in the Olympics .

2 . ------------------------------(accept) for that course changed my life .

3 . Please come in . I’m sorry ----------------------(keep) you waiting .

4 . It is understood that the escaped prisoner might -----------------(hide) in a friend’s house for the last month .

5 . I saw Amal last night . She seems ----------------------(get) much better .

6 . He denied -------------------------(say) it to me .

7 . We congratulated him on ------------------------(get) the job .

8 . I hope -----------------------(live) in my own house in five year’s time .

9 . The children are looking forward to --------------(film) for that television program .

10 . I’m sorry I wasn’t in when you came round . I would like ---------------(see) you .

11 . I can’t see Hassan . He seems ----------------(leave) .

12 . He denied -------------------(take part) in the robbery .

13 . He is suspected of --------------------(lie) in order to get the job .

14 . The director is understood ---------------------(resign) last week because of the impending fraud investigation .

15 . I hate ------------------------(ask) my age .

16 . The builders are expecting --------------------(finish) the job by the time we get back . .

17 . He was a difficult child , probably due to -----------------(look after) by a series of different foster parents .

18 . She can’t ---------------------(dance) with her husband last night . He’s got a broken leg .

19 . She seems ----------------------(lose) a lot of weight recently , but otherwise I think she’s all right .

20 . He doesn’t respond very well to ---------------------(ask) to do things .


No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...