Grammar American & British

Thursday, October 7, 2021

Comprehension , Upper Intermediate , Advanced ( 5 )

Comprehension 

5 - ] Upper Intermediate & Advanced

Read the following article , then answer the questions below :   

               On Monday , 14th November , it rained all day . ‘Is this a bad sign ?’ I wondered as I asked a local person for directions to the venue for my course . As I was late , I was glad his instructions were brief and clear , but I thought he had a strange expression on his face .

               ‘Danger of flooding . Check your brakes ,’ read the next sign . The sign after that read ‘Avon Foundation’ , where my course was . It also said ‘Drive carefully .’ I edged towards my destination . It was too late to turn back .

               When I’d mentioned that I was going on a writing course my friends’ reactions had varied from ‘Are you running it ?’ to ‘You must be mad .’ The latter was right , I thought , as I walked into a 16th century farmhouse just before dinner . I was shown to a small room with three beds and a wash basin. The only bathroom was through another bedroom . For a journalist with wide experience of 5-star hotels , this was a shock .

                 I took my place at the dinner table and looked at my companions for the next five days , sixteen would-be fiction writers , aged 26 - 7 4 . We had two teachers : Deborah , author of ten novels , and Stephen , whose latest work I had been unable to find in one of the biggest bookshops in London . ‘Hi , I’m Stephen ,’ he said amiably , sitting down next to me . Without thinking , I confessed to my failure in the bookshop , which added to the strain of the occasion for us both .

                  After dinner , our course in fiction writing began . ‘What do you want to get out of your course here ?’ Stephen enquired , and we each explained our plans . Mine had been a novel . When I’d booked the course , I’d left lots of free time to plot it out , identify the characters and write at least one chapter . But all this was swallowed up by less demanding activities , like going to parties . ‘Er , a short story …’ I heard myself saying weakly , but at least it sounded like something I could achieve .

                     It seemed less so the next day , when I was faced with the blank screen on the word processor I had brought with me . There was nothing between me and my fiction but writer’s block . But professional journalists like me don’t get writer’s block , do they ? Wrong . Fortunately , no-one else could get started either .

                       Towards the end of the morning , I remembered that I had an ancient piece of fiction in my machine . This was a desperate idea but I had to have something to show the teachers before the afternoon’s individual tutorials  . Perhaps it could be turned into a short story . It didn’t take more than as quick glance at it to convince me that it could .

                         Then it was tutorial time . We were due for our 20-minute individual session and nerves were frayed by the threat of cruel assessment . We had heard of idle tutors who refused to read the students’ work at all and of frank ones who dared to tell the truth about it , but we were much luckier . Deborah and Stephen were thorough in their preparation . Stephen provided detailed analysis from handwritten notes ; Deborah supplied brilliant solutions to tricky problems ; both were heartwarmingly encouraging to everyone .

                         By Thursday evening , the brave were reading their own stories , which provided fascinating insights into their lives and personalities . Predictably , standards varied from the truly talented to the deeply ungifted , but all were clapped and praised , as they deserved to be . Most of the stories were autobiographical - so how come mine , which I was too cowardly to read - was about a world I know nothing about ? And how come  I got the distinct impression that Deborah and Stephen thought I’d better stick to journalism ?

Answer the following questions :

1 . How did the writer feel as she made her way to the course ?

( A ) confused

( B ) annoyed

( C ) nervous

( D ) determined

2 . When the writer arrived for the course , she

( A ) felt that some of her friends’ reactions had been right .

( B ) was disappointed that the building was such an old one .

( C ) considered complaining about the lack of facilities .

( D ) suspected that it was likely to be badly run .

3 . In paragraph three ‘my failure’ refers to the fact that the writer

( A ) didn’t remember Stephen from the bookshop .

( B ) hadn’t found Stephen’s new book .

( C ) didn’t realize Stephen worked with Deborah .

( D ) couldn’t start a conversation with Stephen .

4 . Before she went on the course , the writer had

( A ) managed to write a short story to take with her .

( B ) decided that writing a novel was going to take too long

( C ) not had As much free time as she’d expected .

( D ) not succeeded in putting her plans into action .

5 . What happened when she sat down to write on the first morning ?

( A ) She discovered that she could have the same problems as any other writer .

( B ) She realized that something she had written in the past was excellent .

( C ) She overcame a problem with the machine she had taken with her .

( D ) She decided that her first idea for a story was unlikely to work .

6 . What does the writer say about the first tutorial ?

( A ) The teachers didn’t tell them what they really thought of their work .

( B ) It was better than those given on some other courses for writers .

(C ) She was more nervous about it than some of the other writers .

( D ) She thought that Stephen’s approach wasn’t as useful as Deborah’s .

7 . When people read their own stories to the others ,

( A ) different stories got different reactions .

( B ) there was no opportunity for the writer to read hers .

( C ) the stories revealed things about their writers .

( D ) the writer felt that they were better than hers .

Answer Key

1 . C  2 . A 3 . B  4 . D  5 . A  6 . B  7 . C

No comments:

184- ] English Literature

184- ] English Literature Jane Austen  Austen’s novels: an overview Jane Austen’s three early novels form a distinct group in which a stro...