Grammar American & British

Friday, September 16, 2022

15 - ] Basic Grammar For Beginners - Conditionals

15 - ] Basic Grammar For Beginners 

20 . Conditionals

1 . The first conditional

If + present simple                           future simple

If you study hard ,                           you’ll succeed .

If he hurries ,                                    he will catch the train .

If she is late ,                                     the bus will not wait .

Exercise

Correct the verbs between brackets :

1 . If the weather -------------------[ be ] nice , we’ll go fishing .

2 . If she listens carefully , she --------------------[ understand ] .

3 . If he ---------------[ sleep ] late , he won’t get up early .

4 . If they take a taxi , they -----------------[ arrive ] on time .

5 . If it ---------------------[ be ] cold , I’ll wear heavy clothes .

6 . If she -----------------[ pass ] the exam , she’ll go to university .

7 . If she loss her pen , she --------------------[ buy ] another one .

 8 . If they are on time , they --------------[ catch ] the boat .

9 . He’ll get very tired if he ------------------[ play ] all day .

10 . He ----------------[ go ] at once if you ask him to .

11 . If the driver --------------------[ not stop ] he’ll hit the tree .

12 . If you don’t cut it too short , it -----------------[ fit ] you .

13 . If he -------------------[ say ] that again , the teacher’ll punish him .

14 . If she goes away , we all -----------------[ miss ] her a lot .

15 . If you -------------------[ think ] carefully , you’ll get the right answer .

16 . If I see him , I -------------------[ give ] him a lift .

17 You’ll be ill if you ---------------[ eat ] a lot .

18 . If the doctor can’t see me , I ---------------------[ go ] to anther one .

19 . If it rains tomorrow , we -------------------[ stay ] at home .

20 . If the car -------------------[ cost ] too much , I’ll not buy it .

21 . If you sleep too much , you --------------[ have ] a dull head .

2 . The Second Conditional

If + past simple tense                         would / could / might + infinitive

If he spoke English ,                         he would enjoy himself in England .

If he worked more slowly ,               he wouldn’t make so many mistakes .

If I had money ,                                 I would pay you .

Exercise

Correct the verbs between brackets :

1 . If I -------------------[ be ] rich , I would buy a fine house .

2 . If I ---------------[ KNOW ] , I would tell you .

3 . Her health would improve if she --------------[ sleep ] longer .

4 . He -----------------[ write ] much better if he used a good pen .

5 . If I wrote my homework , I -----------[ give ] it to the teacher .

6 . If they ------------[ hear ] the word , they would repeat it .

7 . If she came , we -----------------[ write ] the list together .

8 . If you smoked less , you -----------------[ feel ] better .

9 . If she ----------------[ try ] harder , she could do better .

10 . He -----------------[ do ] more work f he were able .

11 . If I -----------------[ know ] the answer , I should tell you .

12 . If I had a map , I ---------------[ be ] all right .

13 . If my case were light , I ---------------------[ carry ] it myself .

14 . If he ere in , he ----------------[ answer ] the phone .

15 . What you -----------------------[ do ] if you found a burglar in your house ?

16 . He might get fat if he ---------------------[ stop ]  smoking .

17 . I could get a job easily if I -----------------[ know ] typewriting .

18 . If we had more rain , our crops -----------------[ grow ] faster .

3 . The Third Conditional

If  _ Past Perfect                                   would / could / might + have + past participle

If he had been careful ,                        he wouldn’t have lost his money .

If the holiday had been longer ,          we might have enjoyed it better .

If you hadn’t watered the garden ,     the flowers would have died .

Exercise

Correct the verbs between brackets :

1 . I might have ought some trousers if I -----------------[ see ] some .

2 . If you had told me about your problem , I -------------------[ help ] you .

3 . If I [ have ] --------------------enough money , I would have gone with you .

4 . If the weather had been nice yesterday , we ------------------[ go ] to the zoo .

5 . If she ----------------[ come ] she would have met my brother .

6 . If you --------------------[ do ] that you would have been mistaken .

7 . I wish you ---------------[ be ] at the party yesterday . You would have enjoyed it .

8 . If she had come before 9 o’clock , we ---------------[ see ] her .

9 . If I had known that , I ------------------[ not go ] there at all .

10 . It would have been better if we -------------------[ take ] a taxi .

11 . I would have understood Mr. Brown if he -----------------[ speak ] slowly .

12 . He would have scored a goal if he -----------------[ be ] more careful .

13 . What would you have done if the taxi -------------------[ not arrive ] ?

14 . If he had done his best , he ------------------[ pass ] easily .

15 . Would you have done the same thing if you -------------[ be ] in my position ?

16 . If I -----------------[ work ] night shifts , I would have earned more money .

17 . What you ---------------[ do ] if you had seen the robbery ?

18 . I could have helped you if I -------------------[ know ] of your trouble .

19 . If I had been you , I -------------------[ marry ] her .

20 . I might have done the same if I ---------------[ be ] you . 

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...