Grammar American & British

Friday, July 17, 2020

Conversation & Dialogue [ 12 ]

12- ] Conversation & Dialogue .


At The Bus Station .

Inspector : You want to get to Tahrir Station , sir ?

Citizen : Yes .

Inspector : It’s very easy . There’s a bus every ten minutes from stop number four . The next bus    is at five past nine , and a ticket to Tahrir costs two pounds . It takes one hour to get there .

===============

Woman : May I have my coat , please ?

Attendant : Which one is it , madam ?

Woman : That one . That one’s mine .

Attendant : This one ?

Woman : No . That coat isn’t mine . Mine is the one next to it .

Attendant : Here’s your coat , madam . And is this yours ? This umbrella ?

Woman : No it isn’t .

Attendant : Oh , dear ! Whose is it ?

Woman : Don’t worry . I think it’s my husband’s . Khaled ! Is that your umbrella ?

Husband : Yes , it is .

Woman : It’s all right . It’s his .



                                                              At The Airport .

Customs Officer : Now . What’s your surname ?

Mr. Shaker : Shaker .

Customs Officer : Thank you .I’ll write your surname here . And your first names ?

Mr. Shaker : Ahmad Amr .

Customs Officer : Your first names go there . Ahmad Amr . And you put Mr. , Mrs. or Miss there . Next to your name , Mr. Shaker . Are you married ?

Mr. Shaker : Yes , I’m married .My wife is with me .

Customs officer : You’re married . Now, your nationality , please ?

Mr. Shaker : I’m Egyptian . I’m a businessman .

Customs Officer : Businessman . Thank you , Mr. Shaker . Now .May I see your passport , please. ?

==================

Air Hostess 1: Is the air host , Karim here , yet ?

Air hostess 2 : Yes He’s getting the flight information . When he’s ready , we’ll leave .

Air Hostess 1 : Before e arrives , I’ll telephone one of my friends .

Air Hostess 2 : You’ve only got as minute or so . When he arrives , he’ll expect to find you here .

Air Hostess 1 : Yes , you’re right . OK . I won’t phone my friend till he arrives .

Air Hostess 2 : Sorry , but you know him .

Air Hostess 3 : I must phone too . When we arrive in London , I’ll phone from the airport .

===================

 

At The Customs In Japan .

Mrs. Green : What’s that . Arthur ? I can’t understand him .

Mr. Green : It’s Japanese . I can’t understand Japanese .

Mrs. Green . Speak English , please .

Customs Officer : English ?

Mr. Green : Yes , English . Can you speak English ?

Customs Officer : Yes I can speak English .

Mrs. Green : Oh good .

Customs Officer : Can you tell me your names , please ?

Mr. Green : Mr. and Mrs. Green .

Customs Officer : Ah , ha . Can I see your passports ?

Mr. Green : Yes .

Customs Officer : Thank you . Where are your cases ?

Mrs. Green : Here . These two .

Customs Officer : Can I see them , please ?

Mr. Green : See them ? Ah .

Customs Officer : Yes . Can you open your cases ?

Mrs. Green : Open them ?

Mr. and Mrs. Green : No , we can’t .

Customs Officer : You can’t what ?

Mr. Green : We can’t open our cases .

Customs Officer : Why not ?

Mrs. Green : We haven’t got the keys .

Mrs. Green : And we can’t open our cases ---

Mrs. Green : If we haven’t got the keys .

Customs Officer : You haven’t got the keys , eh ? Hmm ….I think I can open them . Look !              Ah-ha ! What’s this ?

Mr. Green : Er ….two hundred and fifty three watches .

Customs Officer : Two hundred and fifty three watches !

Mrs. Green : Yes .

Customs Officer : You can’t come into Japan with two hundred and fifty three watches in your      cases .

Mrs. Green : Can’t we ?

Customs Officer : No .

Mr. Green : Why not ?

 Customs Officer : Because you can’t . It’s illegal .

Mrs. Green : Illegal ? Oh …..er …..sorry . Can we go back to England with them ?

Customs Officer : No

Mr. Green : Can you tell me the time , please ?

Customs Officer : The time ?

Mr. Green : Yes . Can you tell me the time ?

Customs Officer : It’s …..half past two . But –

Mrs. Green : Half past two !

Mr. Green : It’s very late .

Mrs. Green : We can’t stay . Sorry !

================

No comments:

184- ] English Literature

184- ] English Literature Jane Austen  Austen’s novels: an overview Jane Austen’s three early novels form a distinct group in which a stro...