Grammar American & British

Friday, December 3, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 15 ] Upper Intermediate

15 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises

Upper Intermediate

10 - ] Phrasal Verbs

1 - ] Underline the phrasal verbs in the following dialogue . Write the phrasal verbs in the infinitive in the appropriate columns .

Galal , a head of department , is talking to his manager , Tawfiq .

T : So can you tell me how things are going in your department at the moment , Galal ?

G : Well , Ahmad’s getting on very well . I think we did the right thing taking him on . He’s already achieved higher sales than Nasser this month . He’s got lots of enthusiasm and he never wastes any time ; he just gets on with it .

T : Well , that’s good news . But what about Nasser ? Is his work still not coming up to standard ?

G : No , it isn’t . His sales figures have been going down steadily since the beginning of the year . If he carries on like this , I think I’ll have to take him off that job and put him back in the office .

T : So what do you think the problem is ?

G : Well , to be honest , I think he’s lost enthusiasm for the job . And I thin his outside interests are taking up a lot of his time and energy .

T : I’m afraid that’s just not good enough . If his sales figures don’t start going up soon , he might find himself looking round for another job .

G : Yes , I think that’s right . I’ll fix up a meeting with him so that we can run through this year’s figures and then I’ll let him know that he can’t get away with this poor performance for much longer .

T : Yes , I really think he should give up some of these outside activities if his work is suffering .

G : Yes , I agree . Don’t worry .I’ll sort it out with him .

Intransitive

Transitive ( separable )

Transitive ( inseparable )

get on

take off

get on with

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 - ]Rewrite the underlined parts , replacing the words between brackets with a phrasal verb from the above Exercise 1.

Example

1 . I’d like to discuss your plans with you . Can we (arrange) to have a meeting soon ?

Can we fix up a meeting soon ?

2 . You’ve got exams soon . You can’t (continue) going out every night .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 . He arrives late for work every day . I don’t know how he ( does it without getting into trouble) .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 . If the business continues to expand , we’ll need to (employ) more staff soon .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 . We’ll never get this problem (resolved) if we don’t talk about it .

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 . The club membership has been (declining) for the last five years .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 . I’m going to (remove) you from this case , detective . I think you’re becoming too personally involved .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 .I really think he should (stop) drinking ; it’s not doing him any good .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 . I’m afraid I’m a bit disappointed with the course . It hasn’t really (reached) my expectations .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 . I don’t think she’ll want to be in the play this year . Her new job is (using) all her energy .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 - ] Complete the gaps with the following phrasal verbs .Put the verbs into the correct tense and form . Two of the verbs should be put into the passive . Write the answers in the spaces provided below the text .

( turn up - put in for - pick up - run out of - come down - go on - turn down - save up - take over - live off - cheer up - fall back on )

Dear Ali ,

                  How’s life treating you these days ? Things haven’t been too good for me lately , I’m afraid . My company 1 .----------------------- by UK confectionery in January and half the workforce was made redundant , including me . I 2 ---------------- lots of different jobs since then but I 3 -----------------every time . I think I might have to retain , but the problem is that I 4 ---------------------money now so I can’t afford to pay for a course .I’ve already spent all the money I 5 --------------------to go on holiday and I’ve got no other money to 6 -------------

I really hope that something 7 -----------------------soon otherwise I don’t know what I’ll do . I know the government keeps saying that the economy’s starting to 8------------------now but I don’t see any signs of it myself . And it’s just so difficult trying to 9 -----------------social security .

         Anyway , sorry to be so depressing . I just hope I have some better news for you when I next see you . In fact , I was wondering if you’d like to 10 --------------for a weekend soon . It would 11 ------------me -------------to see you again and I promise I won’t 12 -------------------

Example

1 . was taken over     2 . ---------------------3 . -------------------------------- 4 . -------------------------

5 . ---------------------- 6 . ---------------------7 . -------------------------------- 8 .--------------------------

9 .----------------------- 10 .-------------------11 .-------------------------------  12.-------------------------  

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...