Grammar American & British

Friday, December 3, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 16 ] Upper Intermediate

16 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises

Upper Intermediate

11 - Conditionals

The following sentences are first , second or third conditional . Put the verbs in brackets into appropriate form

 Example

1 . We wanted to go out yesterday but the weather was terrible . If it had been (be) a nice day , we would have gone (go) for a picnic .

2 . Why don’t you explain everything to him ? If you ------------------(not tell) him the truth , I’m sure you -------------------(regret) it one day .

3 . Sarah was here not long ago . If you ------------------(come round) earlier , you ---------------

(see) her .

4 . Apparently , the ferry company are planning to close the port in this town . If that --------

(happen) , the town ----------------(lose) a great deal of money .

5 . I --------------(help) you with it if I -----------------(have) more time but I’m afraid I haven’t got any spare time at all at the moment .

6 . The government is expecting to win the next election , but if it --------------(lose) , the Prime Minister --------------------(resign) from politics .

7 . I am so glad that you took me to your friend’s party . If we --------------(not go) there I

----------------------( never meet) Abdou .

8 . It’s ridiculous that trains are so expensive . If fares ---------------------(be) cheaper , I’m sure more people ---------------------(use) the train and leave their cars at home .

9 . If she ---------------------(get) that job she’s applied for , she---------------------(be) delighted . And I think she’s got a good chance of getting it .

10 . Fortunately the explosion took place at night when the streets were empty . It -------------

(be) a disaster if it ------------------(happen) in the middle of the day .

11 . The talks between the two leaders keep breaking down . If they ---------------(break down) again , it is possible that there --------------------(be) a war between the two countries .

12 . If Ali -------------------(know) anything about car mechanics , I’m sure he ------------(help) us fix the car , but I think he know even less than we do .

13 . They’ve been married for twenty years now but I don’t think she ----------------(marry) him if she --------------(know) what  a selfish man he was .

14 . Children spend too much time watching television and playing computer games . I’m sure they ------------------(be) happier if they ---------------------(spend) more time playing outside .

15 . Sami has everything he wants but he’s always moaning . I’m sure that if I ------------(have) so much money , I -------------------(not moan) all the time .

Conditional sentences : Variations In Tenses

1 . We can also use present continuous ,present perfect simple , present perfect continuous , can , should , ‘ will’ is used in the main clause .

Examples

If he’s still waiting for you , he’ll be very angry .

If you’re coming out with us tonight , you’ll need to be ready by 7 o’clock .

If Ahmad’s received your letter , I’m sure he’ll phone you today .

If it’s been raining in the night , you’ll have to wear wellingtons .

if I can finish work early , I’ll came and help you .

If I should see him , I’ll tell him the good news .

Note : When we use if + should , the conditional is less likely to be fulfilled .

2 . We can use , ‘be going to’ future , future continuous , future perfect , imperative , can /could , may/might , should / ought to , must .

Examples

If Adel passes all his exams , we’re going to buy her a big present .

If we book this holiday , we’ll be lying on a warm beach in two weeks’ time .

If they win this next match , they’ll have won every match in the season .

If you need any help , call me .

If you phone me after 12 o’clock , I might be in bed .

If they don’t eat their dinner , they can’t have any ice-cream .

3 . Second Conditional

We can use the past continuous , could , or were / was to .

The main clause usually has the modal would + infinitive . However , the modals could and might  are also used and the infinitive can be in the continuous from .

Examples

If you were coming with me , I’d give you a lift .

If I could have the day off , I’d come with you .

If you were to as Said , I’m sure he would do it .

If we had more money , we wouln’t be living here .

If we had more money , we could go out more often .

If you asked Nasser , he might do it for you .

4 . Third conditional

We can use the past perfect continuous or could + perfect infinitive . The main clause usually has the modal would + perfect infinitive . However , we can use the modals could and might before the perfect infinitive .

Examples

If he had been traveling in that car , he would have been killed too .

If we could have got a taxi , we would have come round to see you .

If I had known there was no more work to do , I could have stayed in bed .

If the ambulance had come sooner , he might have been saved .

Put the verbs in brackets into the appropriate form .

Example

1 . Oh dear , I think we’re a bit late . If the concert’s already started ,we won’t be allowed

( not be allowed) to go in .

2 . He wouldn’t be coming here if he -----------------------(not want) to .

3 . If you were planning to leave your husband , I -----------------(advise) you against it .

4 . He could be earning lots of money now if he really ---------------------(want) to , but I don’t think that’s what he wants .

5 . You can stay here tonight if you -------------------(not have) anywhere else to stay .

6 . If I could have phoned you , I ------------------(tell) you what was happening .

7. If you -------------------------(have) any problems , give me a ring .

8. If you -----------------(get) here at about 8 o’clock , I’ll be waiting for you .

 9 . We could have got there in time if you ----------------(phone) us earlier .

10 . If this should happen again , --------------------- (come) and ---------------(tell) me about it immediately .

11 . You can’t expect kindness and support from your family if you ---------------(not give) the same to them .

12 . If she’s been working all day , she ---------------------(be) very tired when she gets in .

13 . If the management were to reinstate the strike leader , the strike ---------------(be called off) .

14 . If I -----------------------(keep) working on this essay , I’ll have finished it by tonight .

15. If I could borrow some money , I ------------------(definitely come) on the holiday with you , but I think it’s unlikely .

16 . I might have been able to help you if you -------------------(explain) the problem to me .

17 . If I could live wherever I wanted to , I think I ----------------------(choose) to live on an island

18 . If they had been listening more carefully , they ----------------------(might understand) what I was saying .

19 . If I ---------------------------(be) a year older , I could join the army .

20 . If I ------------------------------(get) a pay rise , I’m going to buy a new car .

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...