Grammar American & British

Friday, December 10, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 20 ] Upper Intermediate

20 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises

Upper Intermediate

Modal Auxiliaries [ Verbs ] , Modals

Offers , Requests , Permission , Suggestions

Can , Could / May , Might / Would / Must / Shall / Would You Mind 

Write what to say using can , could , may ,might,shall , must , would ,would you like , would you mind . There may be several possible answers .

Examples

1 . Offer to open the door for a stranger .

Shall I open the door for you ?

2 .Ask someone to answer the phone for you .

Would you answer the phone for me , please ?

3 . Invite a friend to go for a swim this morning .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 . Offer to make someone a sandwich .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Request an appointment to see your bank manager .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 . Give someone permission to use your phone .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 . Suggest going for a picnic this afternoon .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 . Ask someone to wait here for you .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Give your son permission to go out but tell him to be back before dark .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 . You are in a train . Ask another passenger if you can open the window .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 . You a re the teacher . Give your students permission to work outside today but tell them not to talk too much .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 . Offer to answer the phone .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 . Ask a friend for a pen .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Habit

Would and Used to

When we use would to talk about a past habit ,it is necessary to use a past time reference . Used to can be used with or without a past time reference .

Examples

Before I got this job , I used to / would go out a lot .

I used to go out a lot . [ Not / I would go out a lot ]

Complete the sentences with would or used to . Where either form is possible , write them both . Where there is a word in brackets , put it in the correct position .

Examples

1 . I used to have lots of free time before I started working here .

2 . In the long summer holidays , we used to / would go out somewhere with a picnic everyday .

3 . When I was a newly-trained teacher , I -----------------work till late every night preparing lessons .

4 . They-----------------be happy together but they’re not now .

5 . When they came to Cairo , they -------------------(never) travel anywhere on the tube .

6 . When I had a car , I ----------------------drive everywhere , but now I’m much fitter because I always walk or cycle .

7 . During my last year at university , I --------------------go to the library to start work at 9 o’clock every morning .

8 . When we shared a flat together , we --------------------(often) stay up talking late into the night .

9 . When Nadia was a baby, people -----------------(often) come up to me and tell me how beautiful she was .

10 . He -----------------------be very overweight but he’s much slimmer now .

11 . When I was at school , I -----------------------(never) do my weekend homework until Sunday evening .

12 . I --------------------work in the same department as your brother .

13 . When I was a teenager , I -------------------(often) spend the whole evening just listening to music .

14 . She ----------------------have a lot of friends when she was younger .

15 . He ------------------------go for a run every day .  

No comments:

184- ] English Literature

184- ] English Literature Jane Austen  Austen’s novels: an overview Jane Austen’s three early novels form a distinct group in which a stro...