Grammar American & British

Friday, December 10, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 22 ] Upper Intermediate

22 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises

Upper Intermediate

Gerunds and Infinitives .

Verbs of Perception + Object + ing Or The Bare Infinitive

Verbs of perception ( see , hear , feel , listen to , look at , watch , notice ) can be followed by the ing form of the bare infinitive . The verb smell can only be followed by the ing form .

The use of the bare infinitive describes the complete action .

Example

I watched him play tennis . ( I saw the whole game . )

The use of the ing form describes the action in progress .

Example

I watched him playing tennis . ( I saw the game in progress )

The ing form after a verb of perception is a present participle [ verb + ing ] . Verb of perception + present participle is more common than a verb of perception + bare infinitive.

The difference is often very small .

Examples

I always hear the birds singing in the mornings .

I always hear the birds sing in the mornings . We use other verbs of perception that cannot be followed by the bare infinitive [ find , discover , catch , leave , keep ]

Example

I found her looking in my desk .

Rewrite the following pairs of sentences as one sentence , using the ing form or a bare infinitive .

Examples

1 . I saw you the other day . You were cycling to work .

I saw you cycling to work the other day .

2 . I heard him early this morning . He left the house .

 I heard him leave the house early this morning .

3 . She stood there and watched him . He drove away .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 . Did you notice me ? I was crying .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 . I’ve often seen you . You’ve been walking along the beach with your dog .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 . Have you ever heard him ? He plays the saxophone .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 . I expect to find you when I get back . You’ll be working hard .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 . Did you hear me ? I arrived .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 . I looked at the child and felt very sad . She was smiling up at me .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 . We heard them . They were arguing all night .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 . I can feel my hands . They’re shaking .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 . I watched you and then I felt . You went to sleep .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 . I never really noticed your hair . It was going grey .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 . I can smell smoke . It’s coming in through the windows .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 . He watches me every weekend . I play football .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verbs Followed By the to-infinitive Or The Gerund

Complete the following texts putting the verbs into the gerund or the to-infinitive .

1 . Thoryia and Samir , two friends , are talking .

Example

T : Would you like (1) to go out (go out) for a meal tonight .

S : Yes , that would be nice . I just need (2) ------------------(wash) my hair first .

T : Shall we go to Ali’s ?

S : I’d prefer (3) -------------------------(go) somewhere else . Don’t you remember (4) ----------

(send) the food back last time we went there ? It was terrible .

T : Oh yes , I’d forgotten . We decided to stop (5) -----------------(go) there , didn’t we ?

S : Yes , we did . So I’ve got another suggestion . Samia recommended (6) -----------------

(try) that new French restaurant . She said it was very good . We’ll go there , shall we ?

T : OK .That’s a good idea .

2 .

Dear Mr. Waleed ,  

Thank you for your application for the diploma in tourism but I regret (7) -----------------

(inform) you that this course is now full . Should you wish to take the course elsewhere , I would advise you (8) ----------------(apply) to Cairo University. They started (9) ---------------

(run) a course in tourism a year ago and I would recommend you (10) -------------(consider)

(11) --------------------(enroll) on that course rather than (12) ------------------(wait) another year to do a course here . If you would prefer (13) -----------------(wait) for this course , then I would encourage you (14) ---------------------(try) (15) --------------------(find) some work related to tourism so that you can start (16) -----------------(acquire) some relevant experience .

3 . Galal and Fadi , two friends , are talking .

G : Did you remember (17) ------------------(book) the tickets for that concert ?

F : Yes , I did , but the problem now is (18) -------------------(get) THERE . My mother says I’m not allowed (19) -------------------------(borrow) the car this weekend , so I don’t know what to do . What about your old motorbike ?

G : No , I’m afraid it needs (20) ----------------(repair) . I could try (21) ----------------(ask) my brother if we can have his car . You never know - he might agree .

F : I doubt it . And the tickets were so expensive . I regret(22) ----------------(buy) them now . I’m sure we’ve just wasted the money .

G : I’m sure we haven’t . We just need (23) -----------------(give) the problem some thought .

F : Actually , I remember {24) -------------------(walk) there one night . Mind you , it took about two hours , and we did get a lift home .

G : OK , so we could walk if necessary . Just stop (25) ---------------(worry) and start (26)

------------------(think) .  

No comments:

184- ] English Literature

184- ] English Literature Jane Austen  Austen’s novels: an overview Jane Austen’s three early novels form a distinct group in which a stro...