Grammar American & British

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 37 ] Upper Intermediate

37 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises

Upper Intermediate

 Test Three

1 - ]Put the verbs in brasckets into the correct form

1 .If you -----------------------(finish) your work , you could come with us . It doesn’t look like it’ll be done in time , though .

2 . If it hadn’t rained , the flowers -------------------(die) .

3 . I --------------------(not go) there if I were you .

4 . If this water -----------------------(not be) cleaned up , there’s going to be an accident .

5 . If you -----------------------(go) to the lecture today , please take good notes .

6 . You’ll have to move if you -------------------------(gewt) that promotion .

7 . If the other driver had been looking , he ----------------(not hit) our car .

8 . He ------------------ (not come) to the party if Nasser is invited .

9 . If the house ---------------------(be) warmer , I wouldn’t have to wear a jacket inside .

10 . If you -----------------(be) more careful , you wouldn’t have made so many mistakes .

(10 points)

2 - ] Match the clauses by writing the letter of the second half in the space provided after the first half . No letter will be used twice .

1 . You don’t have to call me --------------    a . if they hadn’t offered me more money .

2 . He wouldn’t have been angry ---------       b . as long as they offer me more money .

3 . I won’t work overtime ---------------                   c . unless she apologizes to me .

5 . I would take that job --------------                       d . if only you hadn’t been so late .

6 . I wouldn’t want to speak to her again ---------- e . on condition that you arew not late .

7 . I will be happy to see er again ------------  f . provided they offered me more money .

8. I won’t go out with her again --------------  g . assuming that you’re not late .

9 . We’ll get there before the film begins-----h . even if they offer me more money .

10 . I will renew my contract for next year ----------i . even if she apologized to me .

                                                                            j . as long as she apologizes to me .

(10 points)

3 - ] Each sentence has one mistake . Rewrite the sentences , correcting the mistake .

1 . I think this umbrella can be Huda’s ; she was carrying one like it yesterday .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 . After I’ve been studying French for another year , I can speak it more fluently .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 . We must to leave as soon as she gets here .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 . You ought write to your parents more often .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 . He isn’t able to be very bright ; he’s failed the course three times .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 . I wish I can come to your party .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 . He must waits until the bank opens .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 . They’ll have to taking a taxi to get there in time .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 . My parents say that I am able to stay out until midnight .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 . May I to use this phone to make a private call ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

(10 points)

4 -] Choose a word from the following to complete each sentence .Each word is used once .

[ mustn’t  - need to - needn’t - should - shouldn’t ]

1 . It’s an airline regulation that you ------------------unfasten your seatbelt until the plane has landed .

2 . If she wants to lose weight , she -------------------eat so many sweets .

3 . You ------------------submit two photos with your application .

4. You -----------------have bought your umbrella : it’s not going to rain .

5 . He -----------------have thought more carefully before he spoke !

(5 points)

5 - ] Underline the correct form of the infinitive or gerund in each sentence .

1 . I hope to be chosen / to be choosing for the lead role in the play .

2 . Please thank her for having done / being done such a fine job .

3 . I deeply regret having lied / to have lied about the matter .

4 . She would like to have completed / to be completing her courses before she gets married.

5 . What do you expect to have been doing / to be doing in five years ?

(5 points)

5 - ] Rewrite the following sentences in reported speech . Use appropriate forms for written reporting .

1 . ‘I am going to resign next month .’

The Councillor said that he --------------------- next month .

2 . ‘I didn’t realize all the problems .’

She explained that she --------------------------all the problems .

3 . ‘There will be a few changes around the office .’

The boss announced that there -------------------a fwew changes around the office .

4 . ‘Heavy rains have caused flooding in the north .’

The weather report mentioned that heavy rains ----------------flooding in the north .

5 . ‘I have been playing the piano for 5 years .’

He told me that he ---------------------the piano for 5 years .

6 . ‘No , he’s not employed .’

His wife explained that he ---------------------employed .

7 . ‘I completely forgot !’

He admitted that he ---------------------------- .

8. ‘We’re having a dinner party this Wednesday .’

They told us that they --------------------this Wednesday .

9 . ‘By this summer , I will have been working there for three years .’

He told us that by this summer , he ------------------there for three years .

10 . ‘I don’t have enough time to finish .’

The student complained that she -----------------------enough time to finish .

(10 points)      

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...