Grammar American & British

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Grammar Practice Exercises [ 36 ] Upper Intermediate

36 - ] Grammar Practice Exercises 

Upper Intermediate

 


Test Two

1 - ] Underline the correct verb forms to complete the sentences .

1 . By this summer , I will have been working / will be working here for 5 years .

2 . I will have to finish / will have had to finish washing the car before I can go out .

3 . You are not to speak / not to be speaking during the test .

4 . Will you wait / Will you be waiting for me when I return ?

5 . They don’t intend to marry / don’t intend to marrying until after they graduate .

6 . Don’t bother cleaning up ; I will do / will have done it later .

7 . She wishes her husband doesn’t come / didn’t come home so late every night .

8 . I wish he writes / wrote to me more often .

9 . If only he knew / had known the truth before he spoke to her .

10 . I wish you would stop / stopped making that awful noise while I’m studying .

(10 points)

2 - ] Put the verbs in brackets into the passive where possible .

A report (1) ----------------------(just come in) that the warehouse (2)----------------(break into) last Friday night . The gate (3) ------------------(force) open and two of the back windows (4)

--------------------(shatter) . Someone , probably a tall male , (5) ---------------------(leave) muddy footprints in the back hall . The owners (6) -----------------(tell) reporters that nothing terribly valuable (7) ------------------ (take) ; however , there is a lot of damage (8)

------------------(repair) . Police (9) -----------------------(work) on the case now , and expect an arrest (10) -----------------(make) within a week .

(10 points)

3 - ] Answer the following questions by using one of the phrasal verbs from the following . Use the appropriate verb tense , and use pronouns in your answer where possible . Not all the phrasal verbs will be used

1 . A : Did you accept that job offer ?

B : No , I ------------------------------ .

2 . A : Does the baby look like his father ?

B : No , actually , I think he ---------------------his mother .

3 . A : Have you had any good ideas for the project yet ?

B : Yes , I’ve just ---------------------something wonderful .

4 . A : I didn’t know you smoked .

B : Well , I -----------------------for a few years , but then I started again .

5 . A : What’s the matter ? Have we -------------------petrol ?

B : No , the engine’s overheating .

(5 point)

4 - ] Use a gerund or infinitive form of the verbs in brackets to complete the letter .

Dear Ms. Hazem ,

I am writing (1) --------------------(express) my interest in the secretarial position at CRS advertised in the newspaper last week . I am proficient at (2) -------------------(type) , and know how (3) --------------------(use) most word-processing packages . I enjoy (4) ------------

(work) with people , know how (5) ------------------(meet) a challenge , and don’t mind (6) ----

(work) overtime . As you can see from the enclosed letters of reference , my previous employers considered me (7) -------------------(be) a skilled secretary . I would be pleased (8) -------------------(further) my career by (9) ----------------(work) for a prestigious company like CRS. I look forward to (10) -------------------(hear) from you .

Yours sincerely

Huda Hassan

(10 points)

5 - ] Rewrite the sentences below , using a present participle or a perfect participle . Where there are two sentences , join them to form one , using a participle .

1 . He wore himself out . He hiked all day .

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 . After we heard the news , we came over as quickly as possible .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 . She had worked hard all day . She wanted to go out for dinner .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 . Soon after he moved up north , he regretted his decision .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. While I sympathized with your point of view , I cannot totally agree with you .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(5 points)

6- ] Combine the two sentences into one , using a relative pronoun or a conjunction , and making any necessary changes .

1 . That’s the woman . Her dog bit me .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 . Can you tell me about the town ? You were born there .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 . I found the book . It was taken from the library .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 . I can’t remember the time . I first heard that song .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 . The woman married my best friend . The woman is my cousin .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(5 points)

7 - ] Add a tag question to each sentence .

1 . You haven’t seen my bag anywhere , ----------------?

2 . Noura couldn’t have spoken to him this morning , ---------------------?

3 . So , you went into my room when I was away , ----------------------?

4 . The meeting went quite well , -------------------------?

5 . Nobody is coming tonight ,-------------------?

(5 points)

No comments:

150-] English Literature

150-] English Literature Letitia Elizabeth Landon     List of works In addition to the works listed below, Landon was responsible for nume...