Grammar American & British

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Conversation & Dialogue . [ 18 ]

18- ] Conversation & Dialogue .
The Birthday .


Husband : What’s the date today ? It’s Friday , the fifth of April .                                                                     
Wife : My birthday is in April . Shall I write it in your diary ?
Husband : Yes , of course .
Wife : Monday , the fifteenth of April . Salwa’s birthday .
Husband : How old will you be ?
Wife : I’ll be twenty-three . Twenty three years old on the fifteenth of April . When’s your birthday ,  Hassan ?
Hassan : The seventh of July .
===============

Samia : Hi , Rania .
Rania : Oh , Samia ! I was going to call you tonight .Samia : What’s up ?
Rania : Well , it’s my husband’s birthday on Saturday , and I’m planning a surprise party for him .
Samia : Sounds like fun .
Rania : The idea is this : I’ve asked my husband to go to a movie with me at six . After the movie , we  go back to our apartment to have dinner . So be at the apartment by 7:30 and surprise him .
Samia : OK . Great .
Rania : Uh , can you bring some cake ? Oh , and don’t say anything to my husband .
Samia : No problem .
Apology .
Hameed : Hi , Shukri . This is Hameed .
Shukri : Oh , hi . How are things ?
Hameed : Just fine , thanks . Uh , are you doing anything on Saturday night ?
Shukri : Hmm . Saturday night ? Let me think . Oh yes . My cousin just called to say he was flying in that  night . I told him I would pick him up .
Hameed : Oh , that’s too bad ! It’s my birthday . I’m having dinner with my wife , and I thought I’d invite more people and make it a party .
Shukri : Gee , I’m really sorry , but I won’t be able to make it .
Hameed : I’m sorry , too . But that’s OK .

================
Halloween .

Leo ; Did you know next week is Halloween ?
Natasha : So what do you do on Halloween ? We don’t have that holiday in Russia .
Leo : Well , it’s a day when kids dress up in masks and costumes . They knock on people’s doors and ask for candy by saying the words “Trick or treat!”
Natasha : Hmm . Sounds interesting .
Leo : But it’s not just for kids . Lots of people have costume parties . Hey …my friend is having a party . Would you like to go ?
Natasha : Sure . I’d love to .
================

No comments:

184- ] English Literature

184- ] English Literature Jane Austen  Austen’s novels: an overview Jane Austen’s three early novels form a distinct group in which a stro...